Sunday, November 7, 2010

dialogue delights

I've come to realize that what I do best is write dialogue


maybe it's because I'm a loudmouth

strike that-maybe it's because I enjoy getting to know people

reverse that- I think it's because I like for people to get to know me


Willy Wonka speech aside, dialogue is what I do best in life and on the page. For the first time while writing, I can see how my day to day interactions with people are influencing what I write, and HOW I write it. Yes, I know, most writers do this, they write what they know, blah blah blah.

But for me, I'm not writing what I know, I'm writing how we TALK about what we know. This explains to a certain extent why I'm drawn to the writing of Charles Baxter or the short stories of Raymond Carver. The dialogue makes the story just like it colors my life.

And, this is not me being experimental or original. It's all been done before, but this is me finding my voice. My protagonist has found his voice...and for a writer, there is nothing better.

No comments: