Saturday, August 28, 2010

taking a break

I took a break from writing for the last two weeks. It wasn't intentional. I didn't need a break per se, but, a break is what it ended up being. But, during that break, I did a lot of reading.

The result:

I am re-energized about writing but am reminded about how much work it is to make my writing "good enough"...and I don't mean "good enough" for an agent, or editor, or publisher, or the reading public. I mean, "good enough" for me. I want my writing to live up to my standards first and foremost and, while taking a break from writing should help me toward that end, when I spend the time off reading other really teriffic stuff, I come back to my work(s) in progress, not only skeptical of my abilities, but frustrated with my own notions of what works and what doesn't.

I'm not sure what the fix is. Maybe I shouldn't take breaks like this. Maybe I shouldn't read during the break and should confine my reading to while I am writing, to keep the metaphorical creative juices flowing. All I do know is that I won't adjust my standards or lower my sights.

A goal that is too easily reachable is not a challenge an that's just not me. I've always loved a good fight.

No comments: