Thursday, September 2, 2010

birds of a feather

So, I'm not sure what the world is trying to tell me but I've been inundated lately with odd bird sightings and by this I don't mean I've seen rare or endangered birds or anything especially noteworthy as to their appearance or grandeur. No, what I mean is that I've seen things, strange things, things involving birds that can only be explained by thinking, "I must be seeing this so I can write it down for later use."

Case in point:

Yesterday, driving to work, I passed by an apartment complex and was simply taking in the sights as I drove when I spotted, standing in her driveway, a rather large woman, a tweedle dee round woman, holding a water hose, swaying it even as if dancing all by herself, while she filled a blue plastic kiddie pool. But, the part that really caught my eye was that this woman, oblvious to the world around her, with eyes closed in the midday sun, had a gray parrot sitting atop her head. It spread its wings once so I know it was alive, but, yes, it was there, enjoying the slight early afternoon breeze as much as the woman was.

Now, this is not the kind of thing I can witness and not memorialize. Already I've included my "peacock at the gas station" spotting in my current work in progress. I'm not sure what these bird sightings mean but it definitely has me looking to the skies these days and wondering what the nest in the logustrum outside my front door has waiting for me.

No comments: