Friday, February 24, 2012

Day Fifty Five: "Ramone" by Judy Troy

Family. FAMILY.

A teenage girl moves with her mom and step-dad to rural Ramone, Texas to care for the step-dad's ailing father. What we see is a family reunited in the midst of a family that has fallen apart as the teenage girl struggles to deal with the recent death of her own father.

What I liked most about this story was the setting, the way the reader sees the convenience store where they buy their groceries, the tree outside of the house where the rugs are hung and beaten clean, the blue morning sky that fills countrysides when not obstructed by highrises, skyscrapers, and smog. This story was enhanced by dialogue that was authentic and gripping without being melodramatic and it made me want to go home and hug my parents and my sisters and my cousins.

This was a WOW story for me. I'll read this one again and will read anything by Judy Troy I can find! WOW!

No comments: