Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day One Hundred Ninety-Seven: "Ghastly Dislocation" by James Lewelling

Mindgames.

A psychiatrist is disturbed by a patient's fixation on him, his ability to keep tabs on his comings and goings, almost to the point of his own mental disintegration. This was a fascinating and psychological read and if it not for the SEVERE overuse of parenthetical phrases in this piece, I'd say this story was close to perfect.

There is an element to it that is very real and yet surreal at the same time. When the story concludes and the patient has abandoned his doctor rather than the other way around, there is a sense of sadness and loss that only makes sense in context of this one relationship.

I really don't know what to make of it at this point because those parenthetical phrases really stopped me from the full enjoyment I might have otherwise had with this story. Even so, I'd recommend for someone to check this out. This type of story is on the verge of Poe. I don't take that lightly.

A link to the story online is here:

http://www.untowardmag.com/2012/06/ghastly-dislocation/

No comments: