Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day Twenty-Two: "The Scheme of Things" by Charles D'Ambrosio

Dignity.

This story, as recommended by my brother, had me on the edge of my seat, knowing with every new paragraph that I was on the verge of something either dreadful or utterly beautiful. That this look into the life of runaway druggies was heart wrenching is expected...but that it's strangely appealing is not.

What a vivid image: a Halloween night where there is so much at stake and yet so much to hope for as these youths do their own sort of trick or treating, searching for food, for shelter, for kindness and finding it in an old and lonely couple living in an Iowa cornfield.

This is a beautiful story about having dignity even in the worst of situations, dignity in the midst of the desperation of drug addiction, in the midst of gnawing hunger. As someone recently said to me of D'ambrosio, this guy doesn't get enough press.

I could not agree more.

No comments: