Monday, March 19, 2012

Day Seventy-Nine: "Woman on a Plane" by Andre Dubus

Starting.

WOW!!!!!!!

A woman, a lonely poet, travels on a plane to visit her dying brother. He's two years older and he doesn't fear death the way she fears the flight to see him. But she knows it's time to tell him that she is scared, finally. He has given up on his fears as she embraces hers.

Her brother tells her "Fear is a ghost; Embrace your fears and all you'll see in your arms is yourself." This is so great and as the story continues and she is on her flight home after a visit, she is hunched in her seat, belt fastened around her waist and she is hugging herself tight until the plane lands. I'm not sure exactly what to say about this other than it was brilliant and will be a story I remember for a very long time. It's easily one of my favorites I've read this year.

I read every word of it aloud. Fantastic Stuff!!

No comments: