Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day Sixty-Three: "A Telephone Call" by Dorothy Parker

Suffering.

A woman questions God about why a lover hasn't called her at the time he said he'd call. The pleading and negotiating she does which is clearly inner dialogue is painfully realistic and honest and it exposes the vulnerable side of every woman when she is in the first phase of a relationship.

Will he call?
Should I call him?
What will he think if I call him?
Will he hate me if I call?
How long should I wait for his call?
What happens if he doesn't call?
Why didn't he call?

WOW, Dorothy Parker really blew me away with this story. It was made more potent with its brevity and with an ending that leaves the reader counting down the seconds until the woman makes a decision and answers her own questions.

My guess about the ultimate resolution?

She calls.
He doesn't answer.


Here is a link:
http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/teleycal.html

No comments: